RE: Trunnion Oil

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Trunnion Oil
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:13:02 -0800
> 1. The shop manual says use 90W gear oil. Is this the same as
> what goes in the transmission?

That's one of those perennial debates ... but the TR6 owner's manual says to
use gear oil in the transmission and the trunnions.

> If so, does it have to be GL4 since the trunnions are yellow metal.

IMO it doesn't matter in the trunnions, since they don't get hot.  But then,
I still have never heard of a case of GL5 harming a Triumph transmission
beyond turning the brass dark ... I suspect that the dire warnings against
GL5 are, at best, misguided.  Especially since most GL5 oil also meets GL4
specifications !

But, I haven't yet tried oil in trunnions, since TR3 trunnions are supposed
to be greased.  When I do oil the trunnions in my Sports 6, I'll be using a
"copper safe" marine gear oil (GL4 equivalent) only because that's what fits
the oil gun I bought.

> 2. Why are these things oiled rather than greased?

There are several possible reasons ... take your pick :

1) The factory said to use gear oil.

Why did they say that ?  Don't know for sure, here are two theories :

2) Gear oil doesn't dry out the way old British grease did.

3) Gear oil has a recirculating effect that helps flush wear particles away
from the contact surfaces, resulting in longer life.

Randall