refurbushing gauges

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: refurbushing gauges
From: "Bob Rochlin" <r_rochlin@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 06:52:20 -0500 FILETIME=[A688CBE0:01C408F1]
Hello list,

When I rebuilt my gauges I got the "correct" rectangular gaskets from, I
think, Vicky Brit. What I found is that these gaskets that Are meant to go
between the gauge and dash will, when stretched a little, fit well to make an
anti rattle gasket between the gauge bezel and the glass(they needed to be
stretched more to go around the gauge housing if used for their original
purpose). In my quest to get gasket material originally I called a couple of
companies that refurbish gauges and they told me that they use 1/8-inch
tubing. which they were unwilling to sell in a quantity to only do one set of
gauges.

I also found the use of one of those rubber round mats used to open stuck jar
lids worked really well to get the bezels twisted off the gauges. Some people
have told me that they used silicone sealant to reseal their gauges, not a
good idea if you ever plan on opening them again.

Bob Rochlin

72' TR6