triangular washer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: triangular washer
From: Tr3bob@aol.com
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:25:44 -0500
Hi listers,
I'm rebuilding an early TR3 engine and OD tranny that I got from a boneyard a
couple of years ago.

This unit will replace the unit that currently sits in my 60 TR3A (TS81398L).

I'm ready to reassembly the tranny and have a simple question.

A triangular washer fits onto the mainshaft just ahead of the center bearing.
It has a splined I.D. and looks like it wants to slide over the bit of splined
mainshaft and come to rest against a shoulder in the washer.

This seems correct as it would set the clearance for the 1st gear but I can't
get mine to go over the mainshaft spline. Without it the clearance is .040" and
it should be .006".

When I ordered a replacement from Moss, they said that the traingular washers
were no longer available and sent me a standard round washer without the
internal splines. This was no better than what I had, so I returned it.

What gives???...are these triangular washers made to fit each mainshaft or am I
missing something?

TIA

Bob Stahlbush