Spitfire Hard Top, further questions!

To: "List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Hard Top, further questions!
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 00:50:54 -0000
Hi Folks
I have fitted the hard top and as stated by the people who replied to my
query about the seals, none of them were seriously deteriorated, I do have a
problem with the front seal though, I fitted the hard top using the spacers
and washers as per diagrams in spares listings, the problem is that I washed
the car using a watering can to whet the dirt before scrubbing and soaked
the passenger seat! The seal is a nice oval section, not crushed flat, about
3/8 of an inch in depth, is this ok or is it toast?
Is it normal to have to "fettle" the spacers to achieve a good fit, it would
seem I would need to remove around 1/8th of an inch minimum to get a seal,
the front of the top seems a long way from the header rail on the screen,
much further than I remember from the last Spity I looked at, a fair while
ago and as I wasn't specifically "checking" this area it could be a figment
of the imagination! Anyone able to give me a measurement from the nearest
point on the front of the roof to the top of the screen say in the middle
width ways so I know where we are.

Hoping someone out there is using their Spitfire with the hard top on during
the winter!!

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment on this,

Graham.

---