RE: I Could Use Some Help

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: I Could Use Some Help
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:56:54 -0800
> I did not check to see if the head was warped when I put it in
> and this does
> not seem likely either as the car had never overheated before.

Zahid, I don't know anything about Spit motors ... but just general
"mechanicing" says you should check the sealing surfaces very carefully any
time you blow a head gasket.  When a cylinder fires, the conditions inside
are very similar to those found inside the flame of a cutting torch ... they
can do damage very quickly if they leak somewhere.  So, you need to check
not only for warpage (heat is not the only thing that can make heads warp),
but for local low (or high) spots as well.  And check not only the head, but
the block surface too.

Also, have you inspected the head studs/bolts for distortion ?  Again I
don't know Spits, but this is a very common problem on TRs.  The classic
test is to take a new nut of the proper thread, and try to spin it by hand
all the way down the threaded portion of the (clean) stud.  If it binds
about 3/4 of the way down, the stud is stretched and must be replaced.

Randall