Re: License plate resto

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: License plate resto
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 21:48:34 -0700
David Templeton wrote:

>I now have a pair of 1959 Ontario license plates that can be registerd to
>the car, while that are good shape, I would like to have them in very good
>to great shape. Does anyone where I can get them done?

Since this may be illegal I offer this for amusement only... I have
restored plates and other raised letter signage where the raised portion
is good but the background needs repainting (this is often the case).
The technique is to respray the entire plate with the background color
then, before the paint has thoroughly dried, use a bit of paint thinner
on a rag and wipe the paint off the raised letters revealing their
original color.

Of course you will want to properly prep the background -- what prep
depends on what you are dealing with, scratches, dents, rust, etc.  If
you need several coats it is best to wipe the raised letters clear after
each coat.

I have also done this with rubbing compound instead of thinner, in which
case you will want to let the paint dry before removing it.  You may
have more control with this method but the thinner is quicker and not
difficult to get the hang of.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4