Re: "Coventry Speak" on sides (was seats)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: "Coventry Speak" on sides (was seats)
From: M D Nugent <carcentric@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2003 08:11:56 -0800 (PST)
>From what I can gather from parts diagrams, the left side of the
vehicle (in UK-speak) is referred to as the "near side" or N/S.  Near
to what, I wonder - the oncoming traffic?

With the driver positioned on the right side and his point of view
determining left and right, it seems to me that the near side should
be the right side (i.e., near to the driver), but NOOOOOOO . . . .

And why, pray tell, isn't the side that's not the "near side"
referred to as the "far side?"

M D "Doc" Nugent
Renton, WA (USA)