Re: TR4/A: Spin-on Oil Filter Adaptor

To: TR <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR4/A: Spin-on Oil Filter Adaptor
From: Geo Hahn <ahwahnee@cybertrails.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 19:20:55 -0700
ebk@buffnet.net wrote:

> I purchased a spin-on-oil filter adaptor for my TR4/A , last year.
>
>    1- I'm NOT sure if it's the same for a TR3 engine, but very possible.

Yes, the same.

>    2- That the past threads from other list members said the adapter
> part that threads into the oil head is to short :-\  to make a good seal.

Didn't have that problem.  I noticed that the design had changed from
when I did the TR3 several years ago and when I did the TR4 last year --
seems like before there were 2 pieces to make up the fitting where now
there is one.  I remember thinking at the time that the newer design
looked better to me.

>        OR
>    3- The inner 'O-ring' leaks when installed :-\ .

Had a leak at first on the TR3 but then realized that the old sealing
ring I had dug out of the head was not the only one in there.  Once I
got that extra ring out of the way it sealed just fine.  Used Hylomar on
the seal -- don't know if that made a difference.

I paint the filters to a green that is similar to the old canister --
wish now I had painted the adaptor too as the length of the adaptor +
filter is about the same as the old canister.

Geo Hahn
59 TR3A
64 TR4
Mt Lemmon, AZ