re: "down to the metal"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: "down to the metal"
From: Angelo Graham <a3graham@admmail.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:27:40 -0500
Hello List:
Finding the discussions of the list on this topic very helpful as I am
considering having my original TR2 re-painted this winter. Original paint
on the car, and I too was wondering about the down to the metal approach. I
have to repair some panels in the usual rust out spots - rockers, between
door & rear wheel, but I had intended just to sand the old paint and spray
over.
Wondering on the type of primer to use? Is it safe to use epoxy primer over
the old, sanded paint? Also, over the patches, after grinding, filling and
sanding, can we use the same primer as well over the filler? What if we
encounter some lead filler? Leave it in? Remove?

thanks for any insights,
Angelo Graham
'55 TR2