RE: 4-cyl TRs, Allison ignition, ballast resistor

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Subject: RE: 4-cyl TRs, Allison ignition, ballast resistor
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:56:11 -0800
> The instructions for the XR700 say that if you don't have a
> ballast circuit,
> you need to add one.  It further states that any Lucas coil with internal
> ballast (perhaps the early TRs are this way, not sure) need to be
> replaced.

Chris, the instructions are somewhat confusing, because they are written for
both the XR700 and the XR3000, which have exactly opposite requirements when
it comes to ballast resistance.  To summarize, the XR700 must have ballast
resistance, which can be either inside the coil (as it is for the stock coil
on all Triumphs up until about 1970 or so) or separate.  However, the XR3000
requires that ballast resistance not be present, and hence the coil must be
replaced if it is a type that has internal ballast.

On my 73 Stag with the Allison, there is an external ballast resistor.

Randall