RE: Using E-Z LOC inserts on Trailing arm studs.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Using E-Z LOC inserts on Trailing arm studs.
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 20:50:30 -0700
> If I would like to add E-Z LOC inserts or Heli-Coils to my TR250
> trailing arm studs, is there a reason to do it now, during the frame
> off, while the trailing arms are out of the car or can I do it just as
> easily later while the trailing arms are still in the car?

If you're going to have them off anyway, and do the inserts anyway, might as
well do it now.  Saves work if something goes wrong.

> Or should I use Heli-Coils? If so, why and what sizes.

I like Heli-coils better, but that's just me.  For one thing, you normally
don't have to drill for them if the hole was stripped, as it will be
stripped to nearly the right size.  (This is more true for aluminum, as it's
easier for the tap to cut out any excess.)  For another, they're smaller
than the other type of inserts, which leaves more original 'meat' around the
hole, you don't have to worry about breaking through.  That also means that,
at least in some cases, if you do manage to tear the Heli-coil out, the
solid inserts are still an option.  If you do enough of them, eventually the
Heli-coils will win on price too, since the recurring cost is lower.  But
buying that tap up front probably means it takes a long time to recoup the
investment.  The only time I would use a solid insert is if the hole is
already too large for a Heli-coil.

BTW, Enco sells Recoil brand inserts and kits, basically identical to
Heli-coils, at a good price.  I have several of them & have been quite
pleased.

It seems odd to me that the threads in the trailing arms are UNF, I'd always
understood that coarse threads were stronger in this sort of application.
Any comment from those who have converted to 5/16-18 ?

Randall