Re: clack clack clack goes the rear axle

To: lstein6@earthlink.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: clack clack clack goes the rear axle
From: Percybal@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:58:06 EDT
In a message dated 9/30/2003 7:05:33 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lstein6@earthlink.net writes:

> the weather got cold enough i had to put the top up.  so now i hear this
> clacking noise when i leave a red light, especially if i am turning right or
> left from a stop sign.  it's coming from the rear axle.  not loud, but i
> hear
> it.  is this normal on an 80 tr7 or am i low on fluid in the diff or grease
> in
> the rear bearings ?  thanks, larry

 From your description, I believe you should first check the
 condition of your rear upper links and rear lower trailing
 arms bushings. Provided these bushings have not been
 changed in the last 23 years, these are likely the culprits
 causing your noise. Very inexpensive items and an afternoon's
 work with handtools.  I believe new ones are available in
 standard hard rubber and also in (harder than rubber)
 polyurethane too. If I remember correctly, you'll have to pull
 out the springs to do the job, and it is a good time to
 change out the spring's rubber packing at the same time.
 A very simple and easy rear suspension system to work on.
 Too bad Wedges were such maligned vehicles. They were
 the best TR's models made in my opinion. Tony Pond could
 make them dance.

 Good Luck, let us know what you find out.

 Percy Ballentine