Sanity check request (little long)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Sanity check request (little long)
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 10:09:34 EDT
After talking to a number of people, getting cost estimates and getting a
close-up look at the incredible results a local club member achieved himself on
Triumph Sport 6, I'm close to deciding to repaint my 72 myself.  Before
leaping into my winter project, however, I thought I'd check here to see if
anyone
else has done this recently, has thoughts on it (or just wants to tell me I'm
nuts for considering it).  Here are the specifics:

Body in good shape -- only door dings etc.. No obvious tin worm damage. Paint
is original color but obviously has been redone -- poorly.

I do want to change the color from white to a Cayman Blue or similar so I'm
dealing with engine removal (I assume).

I am assuming that for about $1,500 or less I can pick up a decent compressor
(possibly used), a HVLP gun, paint, supplies and safety equip.  Which is
considerably less than the $3K to $4K I've been quoted to do the job right
locally. I also end up with the compressor and gun for future projects.

I have painted three cars (all using lacquer paint) with decent results but
have not worked with any modern paint system.

So, avoiding the "Am I nuts" question, here are a few specific ones:

1.  Is it best to pull the engine and take the car on a trailer to have it
blasted down to metal to start or is panel by panel chemical stripping a decent
option? Could have some panels removed and dipped as well I guess.

2.  Since this will be done in a garage rather than a booth, am I better of
with a lacquer-based system that is more forgiving?

3.  Do my cost numbers make sense or have I missed anything major?

Micky Long, Atlanta
72 TR 6