steam cleaning--worthwhile?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: steam cleaning--worthwhile?
From: Steve Myers <mountainunicycle@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:12:14 -0700
I have a '71 TR6, and I'm about to pull the engine out  to rebuild it
and swap the transmission out with an OD unit.

I have no experience doing this. I have the Bentley manual on my left,
the 'restoring TR6s' book on my right, and a tool box in front of me.
I'm hoping the manuals, this list, and some basic mechanical competence
will be enough to ensure my TR6 will indeed run again some day.

The first thing one of the books says to do is to have the engine steam
cleaned. I'm thinking of just skipping that part and cleaning things up
once the engine's out.

Anyone have experience with steam cleaning, and is this generally an
effective way to clean things up before a rebuild?

Thanks,
Steve
'71 TR6