Late TR6 Calipers vs. Toyota Calipers - the final word?

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "6pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Late TR6 Calipers vs. Toyota Calipers - the final word?
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 16:46:17 -0700
Listers,

After all the traffic this afternoon about TR6 calipers vs. Toyota calipers
re:metric/english, I decided to see for myself.  I've made the Toyota mod,
but its been a while and occasionally my memory fails me (sound of wife
laughing hysterically in background).  I went out to the garage, pulled a
set of late TR6 calipers out of the parts box, pulled the front wheel off my
TR6 and compared the original "6" calipers to the Toyota 4-pot calipers on
the car.

Girling 16PB
bleed screw - 10mm x 1.0
hard line thread - 10mm x 1.0

Toyota 4-pot
bleed screw - 10mm x 1.0
hard line thread - 10mm x 1.0

So the threads are the same. However, you cannot re-use the original hard
line when making the Toyota upgrade.  Due to the different
configuration/size of the calipers, the line is too short and bent wrong to
use with the Toyota caliper.  A new hard line must be made using the "old"
fitting that screws to the flex line.  A nice write-up of this is found at
http://www.cs.du.edu/~ljanssen/tr6_brake_install.html

Well I'm happy now :^)

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA