RE: "Decking" wet sleeve block

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: "Decking" wet sleeve block
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 17:06:11 -0700
> Have a question on decking or truing a TR2-4 wet sleeve block. Given the
> design of the wet sleeve engine, is it still a good idea to have
> the block
> to head mating surfaces machined true? I have done the steel rule
> test and
> the block surface on the perimeter of the block looks good. I
> have had the
> head machined true. The important sealing surfaces are the
> sleeves to head.
> Maybe I should have the sleeves machined "square"?
> Any insights?

Machining the head is easy.  Doing either the block or the liners is much
trickier to get right, I wouldn't do it unless there's a clear need.  It's
very rare for a liner to warp, and if one did, I'd be inclined to replace,
rather than machine, it.

If you shorten the liners, you'll need to either machine the block to match,
or use thicker "fig 8" gaskets.  Either way, you've left a booby trap for
the next engine rebuilder.

Randall