Re: Differential mount bushings

To: Mitchel Seff <ms6453@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Differential mount bushings
From: genehart@att.net
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 18:46:55 +0000
Cc: 6-Pack email list <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'Triumphs@Autox Net (E-mail)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mitch,

I was reading on the web somewhere, I think it was the Buckeye sight, that
after inspection of the rear differential mounts, the bushings should be
replaced. This would insure no pin (or bolt) cracking or breaking under
normal use. I found out that the reason these things break or crack is the
rubber bushings wear out making the unit loose, then that movement leads to
the preverbial clunk, then cracking of the mounts. I bought the entire
enchalada from BPNW including the spring packing in Urathane.

This makes sense to me because this problem was not discovered during the
production years. When the rubber bushings started wearing out years down the
road, and rust stared in the mount areas, these pins started to crack and
break. Otherwise Triumph would of done something like the reinforcement of
the front suspension mounts, adding a strenghting kit to this area would of
been easy.

And like you said, Poly bushings are harder and wear longer so I think they
should keep the clunk bug away..

--
Gene Hart
genehart@att.net