RE: Distributor Vacuum

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Distributor Vacuum
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 08:28:50 -0700
> Hi, everyone.  Since my distributor has been sitting (along with
> everything
> else on the 1960 TR3A) since 1972, I'm wondering about the vacuum
> mechanism on
> the distributor.  Am I right in quasi-remembering that there is a rubber
> membrane inside that bell shaped vacuum attachment?  If so, it's
> bound to be
> cracked by now.  Yet I'm seeing no replacement part available in Moss or
> Roadster Factory.

In general, the vacuum units that are available, will do as replacements for
the ones that aren't.  So, TRF LU54413565 will work, or you can use Moss
560-150 by converting to a push-on vacuum line.

> What are folks doing?

I would suggest testing it first (a MityVac costs less than a new vacuum
advance) as they last a long time.  I was able to get mine rebuilt through a
local independent parts dealer for less than the price of a new unit, the
result looks good and works well.

Randall
59 TR3A TS39781LO daily driver (back on the road, woo hoo!)
63 Sports 6 HB7826LCV rustoration project
71 Stag LE1473L daily driver wanna be
57 TR3 TS21731L rusting quietly