RE: Electronic Ignition

Subject: RE: Electronic Ignition
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 20:04:17 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Thank you, Randall, for the alternative suggestion.  Hadn't heard
> of the MSD
> 6A.  Would this system be more reliant on having a sound distributor (no
> wobble) than the Petrinox?

I'm not certain, since I've never tried a Pertronix to compare it with, but
I believe they're roughly comparable.  Both are affected to some extent by
wobble, but both are less sensitive than points.

FWIW, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks to me as though it should be a
fairly simple matter to replace the distributor bushing with a pair of
standard bushings.  Since the majority of the wear should be in the bushing,
that should pretty well eliminate shaft wobble for another 40 years or so

>  (I'm not sure how the petrinox reads the
> distributor shaft, but somehow think it's magnetic?)

The Pertronix is magnetic, the Crane, Allison and Piranha are optical.

Note that it is possible to use a Crane XR700 (probably an Allison or
Piranha too), with it's optical pickup, as the trigger unit for a MSD.  The
optical pickup is least sensitive to shaft wobble, although it's still
affected to some extent.  The only system I know of that is absolutely
insensitive to distributor shaft wobble is the Electromotive DIS system
someone else mentioned.  There are other DIS systems around of course, they
probably work equally well (at a similar cost).

Randall