RE: Turn signal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Turn signal
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 07:58:01 -0700
> The right side, front and back, work.  The left side, front and
> back, do not
> work.  The DPO was in the habit of  running new lines whenever he had a
> problem so you know it's an electrician's nightmare and I really
> don't have
> a clue regarding this.  The front running lights on both sides
> work and the
> bulbs are good.  I listened to the flasher and it was making the
> blink-blink
> noise on the side that's OK and quiet when I put the left side
> on.  Where do
> I start?  I have a 12 volt test light-- that's about it.

Well, since the RH signals work, you know the wiring to the flasher, the
flasher itself, and the wiring from there to the turn signal switch are
good.  Find the harness that runs from the steering box up to the connectors
on the inner fender, and identify the 3 turn signal wires, which should be
some variation of green.  There are only 4 wires in that harness, the fourth
one should be brown/black and a heavier gauge.  Connect the ground clip for
your test lamp to a good chassis ground, then with the RH flashers blinking,
connect the test lamp to each of the turn signal wires in turn.  Two of them
should make the test lamp blink, the third won't.  This third wire should be
green/red, and feed the LH turn signals.

Move the lever to the LH position, key still on, and connect your test lamp
to the green/red wire (other side still to ground).  If it comes on, the
problem is between there and the lamps (or possibly the lamps themselves
and/or their ground connections).  If not, the problem is the switch itself,
or the wire to the switch.  Check on both sides of the connector, they
sometimes fail too.

> How hard is it to replace the wiring harness?

I can't comment on that, but I will say that replacing the main harness is
not going to solve this problem.  Since the RH lamps work, you know the main
harness is good to the point the control head harness connects to it.  From
that point to the front lamps is only control head harness and lamp harness.

The control head harness is available from TRF, P/N 502355, $29.95 in the
price list I've got handy.  Just replacing it can be either an afternoon
project, or many days, depending on how things go.  If the 3 little grub
screws in the steering wheel come out easily, and you don't loose any of the
tiny parts from the control head, or break anything, then likely it's an
afternoon project.

Randall