RE: Whistling Carbs

To: "Triumphs List \(E-mail\)" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Whistling Carbs
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 08:11:11 -0700
> Do SU carbs wear out? These guys have 175K miles on them, but
> were rebuilt
> by Joe Curto last year. New shafts, floats, jets, the works.

Seems unlikely to me, especially if Joe blessed them just a year ago.

> Can the
> pistons wear out? How do you check?

Remove the pistons and domes (but keep them as matched sets).  Remove the
damper. With no side pressure, the piston should move absolutely smoothly,
with no hint of dragging or even a dragging noise.  With some side pressure,
it's OK if they drag very lightly, but they still shouldn't bind.  The part
that wears is the bushing inside the center part of the dome.

> I'd love to tell my wife I have to go to Webers because my 36 year carbs
> are worn out, but need your support!

Sorry, my H6 carbs are 45 years old, somewhere upwards of 250,000 miles on
them, and still going strong ...

Randall