Re: * Tool Kit *

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: * Tool Kit *
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 15:05:11 -0500
Wayne of Plainfield wrote:

>I'm looking for the contents of the perfect Long Road Trip toolkit.  If
>more than a few of you reply I will summarize the results and publish!

We have long winters in Wisconsin, and long evenings to sift through old
email messages.  What follows is a "Long Road Trip" kit assembled some time
ago from the responses to prior questions like yours.

I'll take all the blame and none of the credit for the following Master
List, but be forewarned that you'll have to be selective -- if you pack
everything on the list, you'll need a caravan of support vehicles . . .

Nevertheless, suggested additions to the list are welcome.

Jim Hill
Madison WI

THE COMPLEAT TRIUMPH ROAD-TRIP KIT
                   (LONG-TRIP VERSION)

DRIVER/PASSENGER SUPPLIES
==================================
AAA-Plus! card
Cell phone
Old but clean wool blanket or sleeping bag
Waterless hand cleaner
Sunscreen

SAFETY & CONVENIENCE ITEMS:
==================================
Driver's license, registration and proof of insurance card
List of phone numbers & addresses of TR owners, friends
and relatives along travel route
List of phone numbers and email addresses of the usual
experts in diagnosis and field repair
Jar of change for tolls (and pay phone when out of cell phone range)
Cigarette lighter/matches (for starting fires)
2 16-oz bottles of distilled water (for emergency drinking
or  radiator/washer-fluid top-up)
Good flash light w/sealed pack of fresh batteries
Preferably 1 Maglite (4xD-Cell) and
1 Mini-Maglite (2-cell, with headband)
1 READILY ACCESSIBLE fire extinguisher (Halon)
Half a dozen clean shop rags
1 package of moist towelettes
1 church key (bottle & can opener)
1 bottle of Rain-X
1 set jumper cables
1 tow strap
1 set mechanics gloves and 1 set coveralls
(unless you plan to wait until the
 engine/radiator/muffler cool off
 before working on the car?)
1-gal. reserve gas can
(also useful--though dangerous--for starting campfires)
Funnel
Siphon (clear plastic tube)
2 Emergency Flares
Spare ignition key in Hide-a-Key box next to brake booster
Basic First Aid/Survival Kit (supplemented w/aspirin & burn ointment)
MREs

FLUIDS & CONSUMABLES
==================================
3 quarts 40wt oil for sump/trans/dif emergency use only
1 pint brake/clutch fluid
1 small tin of grease
1 oil filter
1 spray bottle of brake cleaner
1 spray bottle of ether instant-start

PARTS -- IGNITION & ELECTRICAL
==================================
1 distributor top plate with points & condenser mounted
(preferably the points & condenser you last
 replaced while they were still working)
1 rotor
1 distributor cap, pre-wired with HT leads and end connectors
[Alternative to the above items - 1 complete spare distributor]
1 set of new spark plugs
1 spark plug cable (yes, the longest one)
20' of 12 gauge insulated electrical wire with alligator clips
1 roll 16 gauge wire
Selection of assorted male & female crimp-on
electrical connectors (union, lug, & bullet types)
1 coil (new or previously replaced-while-working)
Assortment of fuses (US spec):
   10 amps for the RED fuse
   15 amps for the PURPLE fuse
   20 amps for the GREEN fuse
   (or a half-dozen 35A fuses)
1 flasher unit
1 headlight
1 front flasher bulb
1 front sidelight bulb
1 stop/tail light bulb
1 rear flasher bulb

PARTS -- FUEL SYSTEM
==================================
1 Fuel filter
3 feet of flex/rubber fuel line
Assorted hose clamps suitable for fuel lines
1 fuel pump
1 Carburetor rebuild kit with jet
1 Gas tank epoxy  patch
1 Throttle link bushing
1 spare bolt/nut for the throttle shaft accordion clamps

PARTS -- ENGINE
==================================
1 length of flex oil line, with fittings, long enough to replace
 the longest oil line (usually the line to the oil cooler)
1 large sheet of gasket material
1 tube of gasket-making goop
1 tube non-hardening Permatex
1 exhaust flange gasket
1 set of generator brushes
2 radiator hose clamps
Top and bottom radiator hoses
1 new fan belt (preferably pre-installed inside the front cross tube)
1 heater control valve (or plugs for the hoses if the valve fails)
1 clutch master cylinder return spring
1 valve cover gasket
1 thermostat & gasket

PARTS -- WHEELS/RUNNING GEAR
==================================
1 spare wheel and tire, with air
1 Inner tube
1 Rear axle seal and gasket
1 length of flex brake line, with fittings
1 Front wheel hub and/or bearing kit
1 set front wheel bearing cotter pins
1 spare U-joint
1 can Fix-a-Flat
2 disc brake pads
1 set brake shoes
Cheapo compressor for tire air (and if you don't
 have a cigar lighter to plug it into, use
 your spare wire to connect it to the battery)

PARTS -- MISCELLANEOUS
==================================
Assortment of screws, bolts, fine thread bolts, flat washers,
lock washers, nuts and cotter pins

OTHER SUPPLIES & MATERIALS
==================================
Triumph repair manual of your choice
TRF 2-volume Parts Manual
Spray can of WD-40
1 roll electrical tape
1 roll racer's (duct) Tape
1 roll radiator repair tape
2 sheets of emery cloth
1 muffler patch
JB Weld
6 Nylon cable ties (the long ones)
Your choice of one or more:
Safety wire
Baling wire
Metal strapping
 Coat hangers
 Note: In making your choice of the above,
remember that the most likely use will be
re-hanging the exhaust pipe[s] and/or muffler[s]

TOOLS
==================================
Vice grips
Regular, needle nose and side-cutting pliers
Wire cutter/stripper/crimper
Socket set of appropriate sizes, including at least:
Spark plug socket
Regular sockets in 7/16, 1/2, 9/16, 5/8, 11/16, 3/4
and a socket/extension/breaker bar setup
suitable for lug nuts
Whitworth wrench (or socket) for fuel bowl caps.
Selection of appropriate size combination wrenches
Large and small crescent wrenches
Selection of regular and phillips screwdrivers
B-F-Hammer (which can double as a knock-off hammer)
B-F-Screwdriver
Razor knife/box cutter
Small pair of scissors
Tire pressure gauge
Feeler gauge set
Dwell meter
Continuity tester
Cheap multimeter with an insulation-piercing
probe and alligator clips
Trouble light with alligator clips and a 12v bulb
(an almost-dead battery can still power a 12v bulb)
Jack and jack-handle
Swiss Army Knife
Unisyn carb synchronizer
Pry bar
2' length of 2"x4" lumber (useful as a wheel chock, a shim
 for the jack, firewood and fending off wild animals)

OPTIONAL
==================================
Starter
Complete alternator
Oil pump,
New clutch set up
Complete gasket set
1 rebuilt rear hub
1 half-shaft assembly
Water pump
Car cover
Compression gauge
Two 20-dollar bills, rolled up inside spare distributor cap
1 pint Korbel brandy per passenger, stowed in the trunk/boot

NOTE:
If traveling during any month which contains the letter "r", add the
following to the list:
1 gallon anti-freeze
Charcoal
More blankets