Re: Heavy acceleration & fuel smell

Subject: Re: Heavy acceleration & fuel smell
From: "Kinderlehrer" <kinderlehrer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 08:48:53 -0700
From: "David Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
<spitfires@autox.team.net>; "NASS" <nass@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 07, 2003 6:49 PM
Subject: Heavy acceleration & fuel smell

> Evening all,
>
> After taking both cars out for a spirited run, I noticed when I was going
> through the gears (5000-5500rpm shift points), I get the smell of gas.  It
> is not there under normal acceleration, the thoughts of conversation are
at
> the high RPMs the fuel pumps are pumping more gas than can be consumed
and
> this is leading to excess.
>
> Could there be something with high rpms and the coil not providing a
strong
> spark?  Would a hotter coil help?  Do I need to consider switching to an
> electronic ignition of some kind?  Or is there some adjustment I am
missing?

> Many thanks in advance
> David Templeton
> '59 Triumph TR3a
> '74 Triumph Spitfire
> NASS Charter member #20

It's the high g-forces pushing the fuel in the tank back aginst the rear of
the tank and out the filler. Not buying that, huh?

I think that the function of the float valves is to shut off fuel supply
when the floats are full.  Unless you have an electric pump that is pushing
at more than 4 lbs, it shouldn't be able to overfill the carbs unless the
float valves aren't working or the floats themselves are messed up.  I think
that's where I would start looking for problems.

Bob