Re: GT6 Clutch Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 Clutch Problems
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@pop.mail.rcn.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:28:56 -0400
On 20 Aug 2003 at 15:00, JutH1685@aol.com wrote:

> My GT6 is ailing.  When i try to put the car in gear or in
> reverse with teh clutch in, the gears grind horriblly.
> i just looked at the master cylinder and it is leaking...
> the leak is accumulating in the rubber boot in the master.

It sounds like your master cylinder has gone kaflooie.  The main seal
is leaking so you are getting no pressure down to the salve cylinder,
which means it doesn't move much.  (We need a new intentional
missspelling, like fluif.  How about salve cylinder? :-)  As you
observed, the problem would come on suddenly - it was working fine
and then it wasn't!

> What should i do?  Clutch hydraulic rebuild? Please Help.

The master cylinder is easy to rebuild and kits are available from
TRF or Spitbits.  If you are careful about how you pull the hydraulic
line off you may not even get any air in it, so you may not have to
trouble yourself bleeding it.  (Of course, if the tranny cover is
off, bleeding it is easier.)  Refill it with clean Castrol LMA brake
fluif.  Do clean up the spilled fluif because it eats paint and will
strip the horizontal shelf above the firewall clear down the metal.
And it can drip down onto your shoes. :-(  It should wash off with
sufficient water, but don't let any water get into the cylinder.

> there are no adjusting points on the slave.

You're right, there are no adjustments.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@pop.rcn.com