Correctly Incorrect TR250 Top (Correct reflective strips with zip out wi

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Correctly Incorrect TR250 Top (Correct reflective strips with zip out window)
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 20:50:27 -0400
I am happy to pass along that Robbins is now (again) making the TR250
top with correct TR250 reflective strips but with an optional zip out
window. A truely correct TR250 does not have a zip out window.

Both BPNW and TRF are taking orders for these tops. I would like to
thank both BPNW and TRF for their efforts in helping make these tops
available. A special thanks to BPNW because they contacted me and asked
if they could help source one of these tops, when other vendors simply
said they were not available. TRF was also instrumental in getting these
tops back in production because they discussed it with the Robbins
management at the TRF summer party, and a thanks goes to them as well.

I saw one of these Robbins tops on a car at the TRF summer party
autocross, talked to the owner. He verified it was made by Robbins and
was very happy with it. I have also seen some of these tops where the
black zip out window stitching passed through the center of the
reflective strip above the rear window. It did not look so good. This
Robbins top did not have the black window stitching on the reflective
stripe, and it looked much better. You might want to mention that when
you order.

In my opinion the Robbins top was well made and looked good. It was in
vinyl and the vinyl was very nice as vinyl goes (not like canvas but
still very nice). I don't know if Robbins will make this top in canvas.

I also worked with AA Best and saw one of their TR6 tops with reflective
strips. The Stayfast material (canvas) was excellect, but the owner of
this TR6, a list member, expressed dissatisfaction with the reflective
strip and the shape of the side 1/4 window, both on the list and to me
at the TRF summer party. I would stress again that the fit and material
of this top was stunning -- the best I have ever seen, but I would agree
with the owner in regard to the reflective stripe and the side 1/4
window. It is my understanding that AA Best will make this top with the
correct TR250 reflective stripe, although I have to say, I would wonder
about getting one with reflective stripes.

In discussions with Karl at AA Best, this stayfast top is available
without the reflective stripe and with the correct 1/4 window (correct
with regard to shape and placement). The 1/4 window is also available as
sewn in rather than externally heat bonded. I would suggest that if you
want sewn in you should be sure to specify it, because Karl indicated
they heat bond them becuase that is what people request (i.e. heat bond
is the default).

Don Malling