Re: loaded questions

To: Triumph_TR4@hotmail.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: loaded questions
From: Percybal@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:21:49 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/2003 11:16:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Triumph_TR4@hotmail.com writes:

> From: "James Hoffman" <ericerichoffman@yahoo.com>
> > Hi all-
> >
> > I'm new to the list.  I am a car junky and have owned the following:
> Porsche 928 5 speed, 72 Mercedes 250 Coupe, 67 Mercedes 250S, 67 Pontiac
> LeMans convertible.
> >
> > I am considering the following: Volvo P1800, Alfa Spyder (round tail),
> Triumph TR3 and TR4.
> >
> > If I start with a show (or nearly so) quality car and I am mechanically
> useless what should I budget to run a Triumph maybe 5000 miles per year.
> >
> > What are some pros and cons of the TR3 vs TR4.  Also vs the other cars I'm
> considering.  Can these cars be made to not leak and be reliable
> electronically.  Can someone reccommend a mechanic in Atlanta, GA.
> >
> > Eric Hoffman
> > Alpharetta, GA
>
> Eric,
>
> The TR3 and the TR4 are very much the same in the performance department.
> But the TR4 has such niceties as roll-up windows and a heater (I think the
> heater was an option on the TR3 and standard on the 4, but not sure).  The
> hood goes up a bit nicer on the 4.
>
> Yes, these cars can be made to not leak, but most people do not know how to
> do this or do not wish to put the effort in to do so.  I fall in the later.
> As long as the leaks are small I leave them alone.  When I have to start
> adding oil often because of the leak, then I get off my lazy butt and do
> something about it.
>
> I drive a 65 mile round trip on an average day, sometimes a bit further.  I
> used my 1962 TR4 as my dayly driver for many years, now I use a Spitfire for
> this.  I still have the 62 TR4, ok, I still have a few 62 TR4s, but that one
> is now a weekend car.  In 5 years of driving the TR4 300 plus miles a week,
> it left me on the side of the road one time.  And it had been telling me for
> weeks it was going to do so, I just kept telling myself "I'll get to it next
> weekend", until the points just gave up.  Shortly after that I converted it
> to electronic ignition, and never had another problem.

  This is an example of how to properly maintain a British
  sports car. DRIVE IT!  I cannot emphasize enough the
  problems one encounters when a vehicle is allowed to sit.
  They will make you completely bonkers! If you find a car
  that is properly set up and gives you a baseline to reference,
  you will likely encounter fewer problems and have great fun
  driving. The smart owner is the one who drives his or
  her car on a regular basis.....BTW, any readers of this
  post who in the future see a perfectly good British
  car on a trailer, do the owner (and parts vendors) a favour
  and slash the trailer's tires. 8-)

  Best Regards,

  Percy Ballentine
  (Once again out of lurk mode)