RE: TR-3 Rear Brake Drum Removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR-3 Rear Brake Drum Removal
From: "Randall" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:20:06 -0400
> I am trying to remove the rear brake drums from my TR-3B (after sitting
> in the garage for 20 yrs). I got the driver's side off without a
> problem, but the passenger side has resisted all attempts, including
> liberal applications of PB Blaster, a BFH, heat and verbal abuse. The
> brake system is drained, and hand brake cable is loose. Thanks in
> advance for any suggestions.

John, you've already had some very good suggestions.  Here's a few more
"last ditch" efforts :

1) After you've backed off the adjusters, reassemble the other brakes if
necessary and dump some fluid in the system, then pump up the brake pedal
(no need to bleed if you can pump it up) and really stand on the brakes.
This may pop the adjuster pistons back into the adjuster.  The flexing of
the drum will also help loosen it.

2) Apply PB Blaster all around the center spigot where the drum slides over
the axle, then whack on the corner of the drum with the force directed
towards the center.  Rain blows all around the outside of the drum (turning
the axle as you go), then leave it in a different position each time as you
repeat this process two or three times a day over as many days as it takes.

3) Once you become totally frustrated with the above, use a cold chisel and
BFH to break the drum.  Your car has 9" drums, which should be readily
available.  (But note that TR4A IRS - TR6 drums will not fit without
modification.)  Another way to break the drum is to use a big gear puller
hooked onto the lip on the drum near the backing plate (but don't do this if
you want to reuse the drum).

Randall