Re: spitfire disc removal

To: <PeterSchop@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: spitfire disc removal
From: "William Davies" <bill@rarebits4classics.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:18:05 +0100 h7AMNx24008657
From: <PeterSchop@aol.com>

>  I am still working on the brakes of my new old Spitfire. I have ordered new
> rotors and they should arrive Tuesday. In the meantime, I am trying to remove
> the old rotors from the hubs. They are not like my TR4. I removed the four
> bolts on the back of the disc and tried separating the rotor from the hub. A
>few
> good blows with a 32oz hammer and I only bent the lip of the hub. How should
> separate these? It looks to me that the rear bearings are attached to the
> rotor itself and not the hub.

Hi Peter,
    The disc is only retained by the 4 bolts, but it is a fairly close fit. The
bearings are attached to the hub. As the old disc is scrap, hold the hub in one
hand and strike the disc around it's edge while rotating it. I would suggest
using a 4lb (at least) hammer as this will be far mre controllable and
effective than using a small hammer wildly,
    Cheers,
          Bill.

--
Rarebits4classics