RE: Sheet metal

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sheet metal
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 09:11:24 -0700
> All this seems to indicate that the spare fenders might be a little too
> long.  I have spoken to my local TR guru and he says all TR2, TR3, &
> TR3A rear fenders were the same and should interchange.
>
> Can any of you explain why these Triumph rear fenders might be a little
> too long.

Tom, in addition to Michael's explanation, TR3 body parts just don't
interchange all that well, especially if you try to mix pre-60K with
post-60K.  I'm told this was true even when they were new, and the repair
parts were supplied by the factory.  There was significant variation from
car to car even at the factory (which is why so many shims are listed as "as
required"), and fenders and such were custom-fitted to the car they went on.

Plus, who's to say what damage, sag or warp has occurred over the years ?
Might be your car was thumped in the rear long before you got it, and
slightly shortened.  On mine, the only signs of accident damage I've seen is
some rippling in the LH inner fender ... yet the rear of the body sits about
3/8" off center to the frame.  Appears to have always been that way, when I
line the body up with the frame, the holes for the rear bumpers no longer
line up.

Randall