RE: AABESTCO TOPS for TR6

To: "'6 Pack'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "Triumph list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: AABESTCO TOPS for TR6
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 18:36:19 -0400
I received my new AABEST top today for my '75 TR6. The material is very
good quality and appears generally well made. The 1/4 windows have
rounded corners and look a bit odd where they are heat welded to the
fabric, neither of which I like.

I talked with the owner when ordering and specifically asked that NO
snaps be installed and sure enough, metal snaps are on the two flaps
inside the top that fit around the bows. 10 to 1 the snaps on the rear
bow flap are in the wrong place to match up with the installed male
plastic snaps.

I asked for the reflective strip to be applied and it was a mistake. The
strip they used was either too wide or narrow in places compared to the
original and it bunches up as it travels under the 1/4 windows. If you
choose to order one of these tops I wouldn't recommend adding the
reflective strip as I did. Somebody had to be the Ginny pig!

The top is an upgrade in quality at a cheaper price than TRF is charging
for their Robbins' tops, so it is a better value in my mind.

I'm going to decide tomorrow whether to install it myself or have it
"professionally" installed. So my question to those with experience who
have followed this far: Is a fabric top easier / more difficult to
install than a conventional vinyl top?

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO