re: Cylinder liner installation (and Removal) TR4

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: Cylinder liner installation (and Removal) TR4
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 22:41:04 EDT
Bob,
Not that hard to remove TR liners.. with guts removed use a block of wood for
liner protection and pound liner from below. Clean everything up as books
describe and reinstall - ensure liners protrude to factory spec at top and use
'tube, washers and a nut' to retain liners if not reinstalling head right away.
No heat was required, I didn't even use WD40 to loosen things up after 25
years. Also you can rotate liners 45 degrees to counter wear if not reboring.
My
two books; the factory workshop manual and the Kenneth Ball workshop manual
treat liner work as a rather straight forward task. The warning of disturbing
the
liners and causing leaks certainly worth noting - but never a problem on my
car - it's not that easy to disturb them!
The tricky part is finding a machine shop that has the jig to rebore liners.
Some may want to 'bore in block' but I've heard this is not the best.
Any more questions - give a hollar.
Carl
'63 TR4 since '74

Hello Triumphland:
     I am looking for someone with first hand knowledge of the removal and
installation of TR4 cylinder liners.  I have three manuals and all seem to
shun
the subject to some degree, especially the removal phase.
     Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
Bob Roberts
TR$$$$
35411CT