RE: Pickle fork blues!

To: "Triumphs List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Pickle fork blues!
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2003 15:53:06 -0700
> I am trying to disconect the links from the lever are of the rear shocks
> on my TR3.  Almost needless to say is that these have never been
> disconected in the life of the car.  Thus far I have the nuts off top
> and bottom, sprayed with, WD40, and wedged a pickle fork into the joint
> ithe my hammer.  The only thing that happens is the rubber inside the
> link distorts.
>
> Any suggestions of favored approaches to this.  I really don't want to
> get out the torch.

In the past, I've used one BFH to back up the shock arm, put a plain nut on
the end of the threaded section, and used another BFH to knock it loose.
With care and practice, you can get it apart without damaging the threaded
shank.  Others have written to use two opposing hammers across the arm,
instead of beating on the threaded portion, but that didn't work for me.

However, next time I plan to try this :
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/TA-61900.html

Randall