RE: Plastic blast?

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "T. S. White" <tswrace@pacbell.net>
Subject: RE: Plastic blast?
From: "Dave Connitt" <dconnitt@fuse.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 22:50:29 -0400
Hi Tom,
I have had a lot of recent experience sandblasting my TR4A and have tried
various materials.
Here is my .02...
In general, you must remove all undercoating before you start. This goes for
any media. Undercoating just absorbs too much energy. This is probably why
it works so well..
My experience has been with a 40# pressurized sand blaster from
Harbor Freight.
My experience with various medias;

Glass Beads -  Costs about $.50 per pound at Tractor Supply
                   Leaves a bright smooth finish. Works really well
               on aluminum castings.
                 On a scale of 1-10 it is about a 6-7 for
               removing paint and rust. It can be used several
               times.

Aluminum Oxide - Costs about $.50 per pound at Tractor Supply
               Leaves a dull, slightly rough surface which is
               great for primer adhesion I think. More
               aggressive than Glass Beads.
               On a scale of 1-10 it is about a 8-9 for
               removing paint and rust. It can be re-used
               several times.

Black Beauty Fine - Costs about $6.00 per 100#s.
               Leaves a rougher finish but still primeable.
               This is a coal slag byproduct. I bought it at a
               local building supply company specializing in
               bricks and masonry products. Slightly more mess
               than the previous two products.
               On a scale of 1-10 it is about a 7.5
               This is courser than the two other products
               which allows it to go through my sand blaster
               with less likelihood of clogging up.

By the way, thanks to Fred Thomas for suggesting the coal slag
byproduct! I have some more information on my website below which may be of
some interest to you. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Hope this helps,
Dave Connitt
'67 TR4A
http://home.fuse.net/davestr4a