Parts Stores== Slightly off topic===

To: vafred@erols.com
Subject: Parts Stores== Slightly off topic===
From: a Wallace <wallaces@superaje.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:07:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi Fred,
Here we have "Canadian Tire" which calls itself a hardware store but sells
bolts in a bag of 7 when you need 8 so you get to buy 14.
They have an automotive parts section where every customer knows more than
the teenager serving them. There is usually a lineup of guys, all
frustrated, saying to each other comments like "here for your daily abuse?"
-  though they have never met each other before, they have a common
understanding of each other's suffering.
We all walk away muttering to ourselves "why do I keep coming here?"
without the part we need, or, if we did get a part, knowing there's a good
chance it won't fit once we get home.
Still, the place is always busy, and we keep going back over and over.
Lately, I went there for a front tire for my tractor. It's a generic thing,
you know, 16 x 6.00 6 ply or something like that, and the guy has to know
what kind of tractor. I tell him, no, you won't have it in your listing,
it's 51 years old, which if you could do math you would realize is three
times your age. Just give me a 16 x 6.00 6 ply front tire - he consults
with everyone for 20 minutes and without ever looking at the stock tells me
they don't carry such things.
"You should try Hank's Tire sir; I don't know why you thought we'd have it
here".
"Well, sorry" says I, "it must have had something to do with the name of
the store".....
Regards,
Jim
TS81417L
PS Same place insisted 18mm plugs would fit in the 14 mm holes, that they
didn't have a battery that I could see right behind him ("no sir that's not
the one listed for that car!!!" - I took my chances and by golly, the car
started right up...)

>Just came back from "Auto Zone"  trying to compare electric fuel pumps and
>pressure regulators, I asked for a universal F/P & P/R, the counter person
>said "What Type Car" does this fit, sir I only want a "Universal", well I need
>a make/model car in order to get a application that it will fit, O/K I want it
>for a "Universal", well we do not have a listing for a Universal, what other
>car takes this pump, well try a Triumph, naw they're made by M/G and I know we
>don't make M/G pumps, well thanks anyway. Is it only me or do others get
>agitated when the "golden" words "What Type Car" always seem to come out of
>the counter person.  "FT"
---