RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3a SU carbs & misc
From: "David A. Templeton" <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:17:19 -0400
Hi :-)

Okay, here is what I found so far and this may paint the picture better.

( BTW, it is sunny today, I think "this" week should be drive your LBC week.
Due to being postponed by rain on the east coast before, any takers? )

- As per "FT"'s & Andy Mace's suggestion, I reset the butterflies and they
are tight.  No significant binding.

- As per Randall, I took the carb shaft "off idle" and moved it up & down.
There was a very slight "click" on the front carb, had to listen really hard
for it.  The rear was rock solid.  So it look like the front shaft bushings
will need to be replaced.  That explains the erratic idle.

- As per Bob, I will check to see if the return springs have enough tension
as well.  It will solve the problem but it may help a little in the mean
time

- I will also make sure the ball pivots are greased.  I suspect they are dry
as well.

- As per Geo Hahn, I went to pull the plug wire from the spark plug to see
if I was getting a worse situation.  I had on a heavy leather glove to
protect from heat, always a good precaution.  But as I went to touch the
plug cap, ZAP, I got a spark shot through my arm to the other hand that was
touching the fender.  Is this right?  I have the standard plastic plug caps
and bumblebee wires?

Randall also mentioned
>To live with it, turn the idle screws in until the idle won't fall below
>about 1000 rpm, and then learn to blip the throttle at stop lights, to get
>the idle down to 1000.

I can add further detail to die/idle drop thing.  When the idle is about to
drop I do the quick 1-2 step take her out of gear and use the left foot to
brake and try to feather the gas.  This works sometimes but others, no
matter how much I try she will no come back and will stall.  When I try to
restart she will "burp" a start them die again, trying this 5+ times then
she will simply start like nothing happened.  I tried to use no gas on
restart, another time used gas all with the same results.

Thanks for all the help so far,

David Templeton
'59 Triumph TR3a
'74 Triumph Spitfire