Re: [triumph_herald] Re: Is there anywhere in the world? New Zealand...?

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [triumph_herald] Re: Is there anywhere in the world? New Zealand...?
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 11:40:07 +0100
On Mon, 9 Jun 2003, at around 21:47:18 local time, Nick Moore
<nick_moore_nz@yahoo.co.nz> wrote:
>Hi Michael,
>The palsied hand of guv'mint is creeping along here too, although it
>has been stomped on by an indignant populous several times. Petrol is
>about 35-40p/L (equivalent), with the majority of that as tax.

Half-price petrol?   That sounds encouraging.

> That
>tax isn't all spent on roads, of course, so local councils in Auckland
>(the biggest city, a sprawling mass conveniently located in an active
>volcanic field) are proposing a regional tax to fund their oft-touted
>motorway improvements &/or light rail. Doesn't apply to the
>enlightened minority down here on the Mainland, thankfully.

Tell me more.

>The Land Transport Safety Authority is continually tightening the
>laws on vehicle maintainence and modification. For my next warrant in
>a few weeks, for instance, I'll have to remove the aeroquip brake
>hoses and go back to rubber. My non-standard exhaust may also fail,
>as it's not as quiet as the original. Its pure warbling tones would
>bring a tear to an organ-makers eye, but someone's deemed aftermarket
>exhausts unsafe, or antisocial, or something. I reckon it's safe, as
>you hear it before you see it, but... (pause to take a pill)...

Uh-oh...

>I'm also looking for a welder with an LTSA ticket (certificate) to do
>some welding on my Vitesse chassis. I'm not allowed to do that myself
>either. And any welds to suspension components must be X-rayed and
>certified safe.

Ye gods!   We're not talking about pressure vessels for nuclear reactors
here...

Mind you, if these are the only areas into which government sticks its
unwanted nose, you're doing a lot better than anywhere else on this
planet.

> Whether they'd allow alloy hubs, or Canley's new
>alloy rear uprights, without tests to destruction, I don't know.
>
>In New Zealand's defence, thought, there's a very vocal sector of the
>community decrying any intrusion into civil liberties.

Good, good...

> As we're a
>loooong way from trouble spots (ie a long way from anywhere) the
>government rarely embarrasses itself by citing the threat of
>Terrorism for proposed clampdowns. Any increased surveillance is
>pretty low-key.

Splendid.

>The main threat mentioned is 'bioterrorism', referring not to
>biological weapons, but to a few hunters/anglers threatening to
>release possums or rats into wildlife sanctuaries if the Department
>of Conservation ties up too much good hunting land or coastline in
>National Parks.

An ingenious solution.   I've nothing against National Parks, and I've
nothing against hunting, shooting or fishing.   This sounds as though
the two extremes are working out a sensible balance of power. <g>

>NZ didn't get involved in the Iraq war, possibly as many Labour
>ministers (including the PM) were the peace protestors of old. They
>are talking about sending reconstruction teams to both Iraq and
>Afghanistan, though. Sort of 'picking up the peaces'.

Very constructive.

NZ sounds as though it may be the place.   Any other major restrictions
on civil liberties there?   How much do fags and booze cost (inclusive
of tax)?   Are citizens allowed to own pistols for target shooting?

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671