RE: TR250 brake MC disassembly

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: RE: TR250 brake MC disassembly
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:14:43 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> Don Malling wrote :
> >I'm having trouble removing the hex nut which holds in the tipping valve
> on my TR250 brake MC.
>
> Nelson doesn't mention anything special about removing it at
> http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Brakes/MCPDWA/MC.htm
>
> I don't have the 1/2" allen wrench, so I'm using a pipe wrench and a hex
> bolt as Nelson described. Just don't budge. I've soaked it in PC
> blaster, but no go. Maybe I just need to get the big allen wrench and
> lean on it???

Dave Massey replied :
> Another trick offered on this list is to buy at the ahrdware store a 5/16
> (or 3/8) coupling nut.  They cost only a buck or so and they are long
> enough to fit into the tipping valve and still leave enough onto which you
> can put a 1/2 wrench.

Problem is, the coupling nut is quite a bit softer than an honest Allen
wrench, and is apt to round off or break.  This trick may work in a pinch,
if the fastener in question isn't too badly stuck, but ...

Don, my suggestion would be to break down and buy the Allen wrench.  Get a
good brand name, as the Chinese ones are sometimes brittle & will snap at
unpleasant times.  Also get the 'long arm' style wrench, as it will give you
more leverage.

Enco has several different Bondhus sets for under $15.
http://www.use-enco.com/

Or, for the ultimate in torque, get one of the socket-drive hex wrenches.  I
believe Sears carries these but they are more expensive.

Randall