RE: Is there anywhere in the world...?

To: "Michael Hargreave Mawson" <OC@46thFoot.com>, <triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Is there anywhere in the world...?
From: "Ken Gano" <triumphs@consolidated.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 07:56:42 -0700
If you find it, let us know,.

Kg

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net [mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net]On
Behalf Of Michael Hargreave Mawson
Sent: Monday, June 09, 2003 5:35 AM
To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com; triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Is there anywhere in the world...?

Dear All,

I have just watched the lunchtime news from the BBC.   In addition to
the existing tax on owning a car, and the huge tax on petrol, and the
tax on driving into London, central government is now considering a
proposal to fit every vehicle in UK with a bug that can be tracked by
satellite, to enable them to tax all road use by the mile.   (The same
news bulletin included a piece on a proposal to tax fatty foods at
17.5%, for the good of our health.)

This country has gone completely batty.   Is there anywhere in the world
where the ordinary pleasures of life - driving a car, smoking a
cigarette, drinking the odd glass of wine, or eating a packet of crisps
- are not seen as viciously anti-social behaviour, and are not subject
to ridiculous legislation or swingeing taxation?   I am informed by
American friends that the US is rapidly turning into a police state in
the aftermath of 9/11.   Continental Europe is disappearing up its own
digestive tract as far as intrusive legislation is concerned.   What
about Australia?   New Zealand?   Anywhere else?    I've got to get out
before it is too late...

ATB
--
Mike
Carly  - 1977 Inca Yellow Spitfire 1500 FH105671