Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A

To: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Headlight Choices for TR3A
From: TeriAnn Wakeman <twakeman@cruzers.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 22:20:46 -0700
> What's the right way to go to get good illumination from headlights on
> the
> TR3A?  My car came with aftermarket tripod headlights

Are you referring to the ones Moss sells?  I had a set once and had the
same problems of the beams not focusing correctly.

I had a nice chat with the Moss folks about them and learned that the
after market tripod headlamps were made to provide the "look".  They
assume people don't actually drive their Triumphs after dark.  Or at
leas if you did you would install regular headlamps.

Near as I can tell the only good tripods are genuine Lucas tripods.
I have a set of Lucas PL700 tripods on the TR3.  Focus is fine.

The Land Rover has a set of IPF H4 headlamps and I think they are the
best of what is out there.  The cut off for the low beam is very sharp
so properly set they do not blind oncoming cars even if the wattage is
a teensy bit high.  Like 145 Watts high beam and 90 watts low beam.
Never been blinked by oncoming traffic for the 90 watt low beams in the
year plus that they have been on the Land Rover.  Of course those lamps
required high and low beam relays.

TeriAnn J. Wakeman
      Marigold Ltd.
      www.marigoldltd.com