RE: 9" Rear Brake Drums; Early Girling; info request

To: "Triumphs@Autox.team.net daily digest" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 9" Rear Brake Drums; Early Girling; info request
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 13:53:31 -0700 FILETIME=[88B378C0:01C32BA4]
> My '62 TR4 has Girling brakes fitted to it, but the Moss catalog says the
> 9" Girling drums from the 3b-4 series are not available and lists another
> drum for the 4a-6 cars.
>
> I had previously thought the non-available drum issue was one pertaining
> just to the 10" drums found on earlier TRs.
>
> Are you other early TR4 owners relining your drums, or do the 4a drums
> fit? (Which would mean the Alfin-style\Modified 240z drums would fit as
> well)

The IRS drums do not fit the solid axle cars "out of the box", although I
suspect they could be modified to fit.

And, the 240Z Alfin drums do not fit any Triumph "out of the box", but
likewise can be modified to fit  TR3-6 with 9" rear Girling brakes.

At one time, Moss listed the same 9" drum for all TR3-6 with 9" brakes, but
I believe this was an error, glad to hear they've corrected it.

I've driven a bunch of miles in my TR3A and never had to replace rear drums

Randall