Re: Needle selection for TR4A/SU HS 6

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@ipns.com>, tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Needle selection for TR4A/SU HS 6
From: "BRIAN SANBORN" <brian.sanborn@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 09:45:20 -0400
Darrell,

I am very interested in this as well.  I have a pinging or
knock under acceleration on my HS6 equipped TR4 with a
TR4A engine.  I was told by the TRF mechanics last Summer
that it can be caused by a lean mixture. I switched to the
SW rich needles and carefully centered the jets.... it
definately helped a lot but... it is still there.

I rebuilt with the 87MM piston set and the head got a lot
of work.  I don't know what my CR is.   The symptom does
not occur until the engine comes to full temp and can be
made to go away with the choke.

I assume it could also be caused by a sharp edge in the
head where the valve inserts were done.

Please keep us informed about your progress

Brian Sanborn
1962 TR4