Speedo concerns...lol

To: triumph_herald@yahoogroups.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Speedo concerns...lol
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 17:36:36 -0400
Well, I made a great purchase at Carlisle Import show last week- and it has
already come around to bite me in the A**... But not badly, and, with great
anesthetic effect before the bite.. And, the bite may be considered self
inflicted...

Whilst strolling the swapmeet, I chanced upon a slightly dingy looking
speedometer for the Herald. Being of LBC mind, I figured if the price was
right... Well, $3.00 US for it was right, as a spare- the drive threads(where
the collar of the cable tube thread on)  for the trip odometer had been knocked
off at some time, and the studs were bent slightly. But, having had jumping
needle syndrome lately, I figured I could swap housings- the new one,
internally, was very clean- I'd been told she was possibly rebuilt- but I found
no rebuilders markings- nor did I find any discoloration, junk, etc! And all
the numbers appear to be even, with no fading- the fuel gauge was unfaded on
the reserve orange!

Anyway, I swapped housings, and put it in the car today. Ran down the road, and
no speed indicated! I pulled the cable off the end, and she was  no-a-turning!
Got home, the cable had snapped. Oops, forgot to make sure the back of the
speedo turned first! My fault. Well, I have been wondering about the condition
of that cable for some time. Now I will have to replace it.

Anyway- What could the "Anesthetic effect" be? I was very happy to discover I'd
accidentally picked up a 110 MPH Herald/Vitesse speedometer! I hadn't even
bothered looking beyond the fact it was for a Herald... I wanted one of these
to compliment my "Super Herald" and I happened into what is an apparently brand
new one for $3.00US! (The reason it was seized? The grease had solidified
inside. Now in the process of cleaning and reassembling.)

Now to find a good cable... Rimmer, if Fitchetts can't get one here in time-
unless someone has a spare?

Scott