RE: brake drums

To: "Triumphs" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: brake drums
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 13:02:39 -0700 FILETIME=[6DA89D40:01C3222F]
Cc: "british" <british-cars@autox.team.net>
> Listers, any tips on installing/modifying the Datsun alfin drums
> to fit a T/R
> 3, these are original Datsun drums (9") and I understand some
> modifacations
> have to be made, any & all help appreciated.  "FT"

Fred, I started on that project and got sidetracked, never finished it.

For a TR3, the stud holes have to be opened up, likewise the center hole has
to be made larger.  Don't recall the numbers offhand, but you can easily
measure your hubs and see what has to be done.  I was able to find a twist
drill big enough to do the stud holes, but the center hole was a PITA.  When
I do the next drum, I think I'll buy a boring head for the mill, as the
adjustable single-point hole cutter just didn't work out very well.  The
Datsun drums also lack the holes for the two locating screws, but I don't
believe they are necessary, as long as the center hole is accurately cut.

For my TR3A and the replacement Datsun drums I bought, I found that I had to
mill away a good deal of the rim of the drum.  I want to keep at least some
overlap between the drum and the backing plate, to help keep out water and
mud, so I was milling some and trying out the fit.  That's where I got
stalled out.  Of course, my car would've originally had 10" rear brakes,
some PO has swapped out the brakes (and 4.10 rear end), so I'm not sure
where they came from.  Your backing plates might not require so much work on
the drum rim.

Randall