RE: Follow up on the, Follow up on Blown head plug/ Checking sensor?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow up on the, Follow up on Blown head plug/ Checking sensor?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:40:13 -0700 FILETIME=[B4C76F80:01C31FFA]
> Is there a way to adjust the temp gauge?
> I just replaced the temp sending unit, and I know the car doesn't
> overheat,
> but it gets  pegged at hot in few minutes. I think the voltage
> stabilizer is
> OK, as the fuel gauge seems to be working.

David, there _are_ adjustments in the back of the gauge, but it's strictly
"abandon hope all ye who enter here".  Go too far, and you've killed the
gauge.

We've been discussing this exact topic on one of the other lists, the
consensus seems to be that the sending units sold today do not match the
original ones.  I don't have my parts books handy, so I can't quote the
numbers, but there were originally some half dozen different senders, all of
which are now cross-referenced to a single number.  Interestingly enough,
TRF even uses a different number than Rimmer Bros!

Someone on the Stag list mentioned that he fixed his temp gauge by buying a
NOS sender (of the right part number for a Stag) on eBay.

Others have suggesting adding some resistance between the sender and the
gauge, which will make the gauge read lower, but I don't know how
satisfactory the result will be.  It might well result in the gauge never
reading full hot, even when it should.

Randall