RE: Follow up on the, Follow up on Blowen head plug/ Checking sensor?

To: <ebk@buffnet.net>, "TR List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Follow up on the, Follow up on Blowen head plug/ Checking sensor?
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 12:12:42 -0700 FILETIME=[F3F9CE10:01C31FCC]
>     Now I couldn't get the windows to defog in the rain. I opened the
> heat up, but could barely feel any warmth. I have a sleeved thermostat,
> that I believe is 160^ [summer]. The reason I state this is that I did
> not find a temp. stamped on it, & the temp. gauge reads pointing
> straight down [which is low to me]. I feel the electric sensor is
> reading accurately on my TR4/A. I don't know how one would check this
> unit.  I'm opened to suggestions, so please reply to me & the list if
> you wish to.

Cosmo, on a TR4A it's fairly easy to check.  Remove the radiator cap with
the engine cool, and stick a common candy thermometer (the mercury and glass
type, $5-$10 at the grocery store, don't use your wife's good one) through
the neck until the bulb is immersed in the coolant.  Let the engine idle
while you watch the thermometer.  It should move very slowly for awhile,
then rapidly rise to a new value and resume slowly rising.  That point
(where it stabilizes after rising rapidly) is where your thermostat opened.
(It's typically a bit below the advertised temperature, since there is a
range of temperatures where the thermostat is only partly open.)

Once the coolant is circulating (after the rapid rise), your temp gauge
should match the thermometer reading.

Randall