A-Type OD Problems?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: A-Type OD Problems?
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 20:18:38 EDT
Hi Guys,
Once again I find myself with a "Fault Diagnosis" challenge this time on the
TR3B.  It has a TR4 OD gearbox, one of the bangers that engage OD real fast,
which was excellent until this year. Well, it always was a leaker at the
adapter plate but no problems shifting or engaging or disengaging the OD.  I
changed the gear oil, GL4 90, and did notice that the oil, although clean,
seemed foamy.  Once refilled the OD engages real fast as always but wants to
kick out under a load.  It will stay in if you take it easy but it's acts
almost like an automatic trans that is downshifting if you get on it coming
out then going back in. She went on a 230 mile run today and the problem is
certainly not improving.  I jacked her up afterwards and the gearbox is not
low on oil and the solenoid seems to be functioning normally.  Not sure if it
needs to be adjusted since I would have to remove the tunnel cover for that
but my guess is that is OK too.  So now what?
Thanks for any help guys, I hate it when my B won't O!
Darrell