Re: Anyone replaced steering column bushings?

To: <RFabie@erols.com>, "triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Anyone replaced steering column bushings?
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 09:38:24 -0600
Bob, I havent done it, but I have looked at it and I recall is straightforward
to do but a press or perhaps a length of threaded rod will work.  ISTR you get
a long enough rod and try to push them out, but its possible that you push
them inward and they come out of an access hole in the column, I just dont
remember right now.  But first I would check the steering column felt
mountings.  Try grabbing the column and wiggle it.  If the whole column moves,
then its the mountings.  Usually you can look from underneath the column and
visually see if theres play.  Try both ends of the column (the one in the
passenger compartment and the end in the engine compartment).  Then try to
wiggle the steering wheel.  If the column is stationary but the wheel moves,
then its the bearings.

John - 76 TR6

Bob wrote:>
To eliminate steering wheel play - presumambly from years of using the
steering wheel as an aid to entering and exiting the car - is it reasonable
assume that the steering column bushings should be replaced? Has anyone done
it? Any tips?