Re: Seat Cushions

To: "levilevi" <levilevi@attbi.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "Peter Philips" <pkphilips@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Seat Cushions
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 23:44:01 -0500
>   I am searching for a source for cooling seat cushions. These were
> commonplace
>   before air-conditioning became ubiquitous. These are mesh with coiled
> springs
>   inside; they keep you off the seat just a wee bit allowing a breeze
between
>   you and the vinyl or leather.

I may still have the one I got in 2000.

It was my third day with the TR4.  I was in Sherman Texas.  It was over 100
degrees.  I had a cold can of pop in Elton Clark's shop.  Tony is a
collector of early Lotus cars.  He has the original prototype Lotus Eleven.
After a hot morning driving up from Rowlett, I was pretty content to drool
on several historic Lotuses and bench-race in air-conditioned comfort.

We finally went back out into the heat and sun and put the top on the TR.
It was the first time it had been out of the trunk since I bought the car.
I needed to get out of the sun and the buffeting for my trip to Wichita
Kansas that day.

Then Tony reached into his pickup and pulled out this seat cushion.  I had
not seen one in Minnesota in thirty years.

"Here, take this with you."

Gee, Tony, are you sure you can get another one?

"No problem.  Enjoy your trip."

I stood there in the street and bent the corners in until it fit the bucket
seat.  I found that it not only allowed airflow between the car's seat and
mine, it also spread out my weight so I sat quite a bit higher.  This
allowed the top to shade more of my head.  My white shirt protected the
rest.

That was fine gesture of kindness, so typical of British-car folks.  I've
been blessed to meet so many of you on the net over the years.  If you are
going to be in the Twin Cities, for gosh sakes, don't be a stranger.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com