RE: TR3/4 Fuel Pump/Filter

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3/4 Fuel Pump/Filter
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:55:29 -0700 FILETIME=[42B04B20:01C30DD9]
> What is a good choice for the gasket atop the glass bowl of the fuel
> filter?  Moss & VB don't seem to offer replacements.  It's easy enough
> to make one, but I have seen both cork & rubber on there.

If you use rubber, be sure it's nitrile rubber (Buna-N).  Modern fuel in the
US will eat lesser compounds like neoprene or vinyl.
It also needs to be fairly soft and thick, because of the mismatch you
commented on.  I haven't noticed my fuel pumps being bowed in any particular
direction, but the lip of the bowl is certainly not very flat.

MMC has a 12" square sheet of 1/8" thick, 40 Shore A Buna-N, for $6.63.
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Or, you could just buy the fuel pump rebuild kit ...

> Am I guilty of over-tightening these suckers?  Had to believe I
> could bend that casting with just a thumb screw (never use a wrench,
> etc) .

Could be, that 'pot metal' isn't very strong.

Randall