Ghosts in the Machine

Subject: Ghosts in the Machine
From: "Williams, Bill (Atlanta)" <Bill.Williams@hp.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 14:11:54 -0500
Hi All,

Here's one you'll enjoy....I jump in my 1974 TR6 after my son's Little
League practice and turn the key to start it.  The starter motor turns,
but the engine doesn't start right away, so I release the switch.  The
starter motor keeps turning.  In a panic, I pull the key out.  The
starter motor continues to turn.  I quickly pop the bonnet and turn off
the battery switch.  The starter motor stops turning.

So,  I pop the electrical ignition switch out of the locking mechanism
and thump it a few times and stick it back in.  I cut the battery switch
back on, turn the key on then off and it works fine.  I drive back home
with no problems.

I'm guessing it's the electrical switch versus the starter relay, or at
least that's what I just ordered from TRF.

Here's my question, when you turn the key to the right to start and then
release the key, there should be a return spring action to move the key
back to the left.  Does that return spring action come from the
electrical switch, or from the locking mechanism assembly that contains
the lock itself?  I've tried both and there's no spring return.  If it
is suppose to be in the electrical switch, then I know mine is
definitely shot.

Thanks,

Bill
Atlanta